Do you ever find yourself looking through black and white prints on Etsy or Pinterest and think, “I love that quote or that graphic, but I wish I could have it in colors that match home”? You will love this tutorial because as I am about to show you, you can easily change the colors to anything you want! It’s a simple fix before printing!
Before I get to the step-by-step of that process, I am excited to share that every week, I’ll be posting a new print available in my Etsy shop, but sharing with you the smaller version as a Journal Card. The card will be free! You can customize them to use in your scrapping or to sneak into your planner or include with a letter to a friend. And if you like the quote, you can purchase the print from my shop. Here is the great thing about the image in my shop: they come in multiple sizes (5×7, 8×10, 11×14, 16×20, 24×36) so you can customize the color and print at the size to best fit your project and you’ll never lose any quality!
Should we get started on customizing your print? Download the FREE Journal Card HERE so you can practice along!
You can watch the video to see it in action or read the steps below!
- Open Photoshop or PSE (The video above is done in PSE 11).
- Open the FREE card you would have downloaded.
- Click on the magic wand or simply click a to activate the magic wand.
- With the wand, click on the first word on the page.
- Holding shift, continue to click on anything in black that you want changed.
- Once all the black (or all the black you want to change) has marching ants around it, right click inside part of the black text and choose copy. *Don’t forget any little pieces like a dotted i.
- You don’t want to cut it because you want the words on a separate layer without leaving any holes in the white underneath.
- Next, create a blank layer under the copied text and over the original card. Fill that layer with a paper from a digital kit or any color, even plain white. Whatever you want the background to be, you’re going to add it here.
- Your text is now above this new color layer.
- Create a new layer above it and fill it with whatever color you want or a paper from a kit you are working with.
- Now clip that color layer to your text (shift g).
- Merge Visible and save! Your card is now customized to use with your kit or any project.
- Follow the same steps with any size print!
Check in next week for more tips to use and customize these cards/prints! To purchase this card as a larger print, click HERE!